Beginning Wed, Aug. 14, we’ll be shifting traffic on northbound I-35 between the I-35W/I-35E split and Hwy 97 to the recently paved inside lanes, to start paving the outside lanes, weather permitting.
Beginning at 12:01 a.m. Wed, Aug. 14, the NB I-35 exit ramp to Hwy 97 and the Hwy 97 entrance ramp to NB I-35 will close through late September. Drivers should follow posted detours:
- NB I-35 to Hwy 97: NB I-35 to westbound Broadway Ave./Co. Rd. 2 to southbound I-35 to Hwy 97
- Hwy 97 to NB I-35: Eastbound Hwy 97 to NB Lake St./Hwy 61 to WB Broadway Ave./Co. Rd. 2 to NB I-35
Movable barrier on I-35/I-35E beginning August 14
Once we begin paving the northbound outside lanes on I-35 and I-35E, we’ll be using movable barrier on I-35E and I-35 for alternating lane closures. The movable barrier will help reduce congestion by adding a lane when and where it's needed most and keep traffic moving during peak travel hours.
Here’s what you can anticipate with the movable barrier:
- I-35 between I-35E and Hwy 97:
- SB I-35 will be reduced to three lanes from 5-9 a.m.
- NB I-35 will be reduced to three lanes from 2-7 p.m.
- I-35E between I-35 and one mile south of the I-35E/I-35W split:
- SB I-35E will be reduced to two lanes of traffic from 5-9 a.m.
- NB I-35E will be reduced to two lanes of traffic on from 2-7 p.m.
We’ll use the movable barrier until crews finish paving the northbound lanes in late September. Take a moment to see an example of how the movable barrier device works.
More about this project
To learn more, including all current traffic impacts, visit the project website at: mndot.gov/metro/projects/i35northmetrosplit.