At 151 years, Minnesota’s oldest Lutheran parsonage sits in need of repair. Insects have damaged the 1868 era wood of the building, which is no longer lived in but remains preserved as the Gammelgården Museum’s Präst Hus. The logs need stabilization. New gutters and downspouts are in order, reported the museum’s director, Lynne Blomstrand Moratzka.
Elsewhere on the outdoor museum’s grounds, a stone retaining wall has tumbled. The door of the Immigrant Hus needs realigning with materials similar to what would have been used in the 1850s.
To do the restorations, Gammelgården plans to work with Northern Bedrock Historic Preservation Corps and Advantage Construction. They aim to have work completed by Midsommar Dag, June 22.
These preservation projects are expected to cost $10,000. If museum representatives can raise $6,000 by June 30, a memorial gift will provide the final $4,000 for the projects. On May 9, the museum was nearly halfway to its goal, having raised $2,700.